- Building & Zoning
Building & Zoning
The Building and Zoning Department works closely with residents and contractors to ensure safety, compliance and quality standards are met.
Building permits protect residents from improper building materials and methods by providing requirements, specifications, guidelines, or characteristics to used consistently to ensure that materials, products, processes, and services are fit for their purpose.
The Building staff provides consultation, completes zoning and plan review, issues permits and conducts inspections. These functions promote a safe, structurally sound and architecturally pleasing environment.
The Building and Zoning Department works under the direction of the Chief Administrator. They collaborate with boards on decisions concerning area construction; Architectural Board of Review (ARB), responsible for decisions regarding exterior design proposals, and Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA), hear requests for zoning variances.
There are no published events in current month.
The Building Process
- Obtain appropriate applications, approvals, and permits.
- Contractor registration required prior to beginning any work. Registrations are valid for (1) one calendar year.
- Know your building codes as they are used to review, approve and inspect construction projects.
- Submit permits and forms. (Must include all required information for acceptance such as proper application with proper details and fees).
- Building and zoning review completed by Building Inspector
- Accepted projects that do not require ABR consideration may take up to 10 days to process. Applicant is notified via email of approval and issued permit.
- Accepted projects the DO require ABR consideration are placed on the ABR agenda
- Rejected projects due to non-compliance of zoning code, are sent a zoning rejection letter with an application for a variance.
- Variances are heard by the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA)
- BZA granted variances then return to ABR for consideration
- ABR approved variances then require permit application and fees
- Upon passing final inspection the permit is closed.
- Accept and review applications for building and zoning projects
- Issuance of permits (building, and commercial occupancy for zoning)
- Inspection of residential building construction
- Manage submissions for the ABR and related administrative functions
- Manage zoning and code violations and complaints
- Enforce property maintenance code violations
- Meets with various community members and stakeholders to address questions and concerns